Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trust Relation Over WAN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

subhashlnjbho

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2001
US
Dear

Iam having two win-nt server in diffrent network. Both the Network is connect over Private WAN (VSAT). I want to use the resorces of one nt server on other server. Can you guide how can I do this.

For this I tried to trust both the NT server. But this is giving error "Domain cntroler not found".

My network is like this,

Network A

PC-----------NT Server------Router----Vsat(B)
10.1.20.51 10.1.20.35 10.1.20.1

Network B

PC-----------NT server------Router-----VSAT(B)
10.1.1.51 10.1.1.35 10.1.1.1
both VSAT A and B is connected.

I am abale to map the Drive of NT Server A to NT server B

Regards

It is strange, that you can map a share from box A to box B, but cannot see the box B itself.

Check the router's rules in regards to SNMP and UDP protocols; try to "open all" on both routers and see, whether it worked ( for establishing trust), or not.

Good luck.

I received the same error when I tried to get my home domain and my work domain to see each other. I got it working by adding the following information to the LMHOSTS file in the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC directory on each machine (I used your IP addresses, and just plug in the appropriate domains where indicated):

On NT server A:
---------------
10.1.1.35 SERVER-B #PRE #DOM:<domain on server B>

On NT server B:
---------------
10.1.20.35 SERVER-A #PRE #DOM:<domain on server A>

Once I rebooted each machine I was able to establish a trust between them. This is assuming that you can ping one server from the other server by IP address. I hope this helps...

Another thing to consider is time delay, if your domains aren't completing replication fast enough, then the process will time out.

I had three domains, each in it's own site, and had no problems. The solution I devised was to use DNS rather than WINS, to keep as much of the WAN free as possible. Here is a link to a document that I have created detailing the reason I chose to use DNS and the problems/fixes I ran into.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back