Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trunking issue after power off/on HP1910 switch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peeky1323

MIS
Aug 1, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a strange issue. HP 1910 switch connected to an ESXi server with 2 Nics. Ports are Link aggregated (trunked) with no lacp. When I created the trunk, if I create them for the 2 ports that already have active NICs in the them communication will never work over the trunk. If I setup 2 ports that have nothing in them, plug one NIC in, wait a minute and then plug the other one in it works. I can live with that, but what I am finding is, if I power off the switch and back on again, the trunk will stop sending traffic over it. If I unplug one NIC, it comes back. As soon as I put both in, it fails again. By fails U mean I cannot ping (or anything else) the ESXi server anymore. The idea is to use VLANs once we get the Link Aggregation/trunking setup correctly.

ESXi is setup up correctly with routing set to IP hash. Any ideas what I am doing wring on the HP? I am new to HP switches but this works with Cisco switches no problem.

Thanks,

Matt

double check that not only your vSwitch has Load Balancing set to IP Hash, but also your Port Group(s); ettings don't always inherit properly. Also, post your trunk configuration.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Hi,

Thanks that solved it. All port groups in ESX were set to inherit, but they weren't. Forced them all to IP hash and then back to inheritted and it works.

Thanks Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back