Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trunking cisco 2950 and 3500 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewer61

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2003
US
I have a 2950 sitting in a reote site. It connects at 10 half to a 3500. I was woundering if there was a way to trunk the link between the two? both are running as plug in switches no vlan setup. both are in a controlled area. th 2950 is so i can plug in a backup bdc, pdc setup.

brewer61, maybe I am missing something obvious in your message but I am curious about a couple of things. First why is the 2950 connecting to the 3500 at 10Mb/half? Secondly if you only have a single VLAN why do you need trunking between the two? Trunking gives the capability of carrying multiple VLANs across a single physical interface.

Here is a link that will help if you are looking to configure trunking between the two switches:

Hopefully that helps.

pmays
ccie#8498

what i have is a switch conected to my main routers in a centralized area. that is the 3500. now i have a remote site that is well over the 330 ft mark away. I have ran cat 5 to the other site and plugged in a 2950 switch. the two ports will not sinc up on both auto. BUt if i put it to 10 mb half it links up. What i want is to have that link 100 mb full. Is there some setting i am over looking?

no, its time to think fiber ;-) The distance is obviously keeping you from being able to run 100Mb. Another thought would be if you have a point in between the sites to put a repeater so you can keep the distance below 100m on each side. Depending on which 2950 you have will of course dictate if fiber is an option for you.

pmays
ccie#8498

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back