Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trunk to Trunk Call on Merlin Magix 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrew77

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2008
US
This is probably answered 10 times on here, but I did not find it. I apologize if I am just being thick.

I have a Merlin Magix 1.5 R6.0. It has a T1 trunk and some various other analog trunks. Dial 6 to get the T1. 72 and 8 to get to the other analog lines.

I have just added a T1 PRI between the Magix and another system using Merlin-NTWK and NonLocal UDP. I can call extensions on either side without a problem and I even get Caller ID from the Magix to the other side. What I can not do and what my questions concerns is being able to dial out on the T1 or analog trunks connected to the Magix. The calls are forwarded to the Operator.

I know this is a restrictions problem. Or I think. I have read the Magix Network Reference and it makes several notes, but either I am not following them correctly or I am just on the wrong path. I am not an expert on the Magix nor probably a Telephony Expert either. I have been playing with the Remote Access (DISA) settings, which might be the wrong place, but it was the only I could find talking about Barrier Codes and COR. Here is my print out for that section:

----- Site: *****. Captured: 7/13/2008 -----
REMOTE ACCESS (DISA) INFORMATION

GENERAL OPTIONS ACCESS CODE: 589

Barrier Code required for Non-TIE DISA lines: Yes
Barrier Code required for TIE DISA lines : Yes
Automatic Queuing enabled for DISA lines : No
System Wide Barrier Code Length : 07
Date and Time of Last Barrier Code Change : 01/01/00 12:00AM

SYSTEM DEFAULT CLASS OF RESTRICTIONS (NON-TIE)

Restriction : OUTWARD RESTRICTED
ARS Restriction Level: 3
Allowed Lists : 1
Disallowed Lists :

SYSTEM DEFAULT CLASS OF RESTRICTIONS (TIE)

Restriction : OUTWARD RESTRICTED
Allowed Lists :
Disallowed Lists :

I have toggled the Outward Restricted to Unrestricted and turned off the Barrier Code requirement on both TIE and Non-TIE lines without a difference in my issue. Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy Gruen

I did go back through and follow the recommendations in the Merlin Network Reference and set the Remote Access up as follows:
REMOTE ACCESS (DISA) INFORMATION

GENERAL OPTIONS ACCESS CODE: 589

Barrier Code required for Non-TIE DISA lines: Yes
Barrier Code required for TIE DISA lines : Yes
Automatic Queuing enabled for DISA lines : No
System Wide Barrier Code Length : 07
Date and Time of Last Barrier Code Change : 01/01/00 12:00AM

SYSTEM DEFAULT CLASS OF RESTRICTIONS (NON-TIE)

Restriction : UNRESTRICTED
Allowed Lists : 0
Disallowed Lists : 7

SYSTEM DEFAULT CLASS OF RESTRICTIONS (TIE)

Restriction : UNRESTRICTED
Allowed Lists :
Disallowed Lists : 7

This has not resolved the issue. I can not get 0 out of the Allowed Lists on the NON-TIE Lines.

The FRL of my UDP Route is 3. The FRL on my ARS is 3:
ARS IS: ACTIVE ACCESS CODE: 6

TABLE 25: Default Toll Output Table

Pool Absorb Other Digits FRL Call type Start Pattern
1)70-- 00 -------------------- 3 BOTH --:--

Pool Absorb Other Digits FRL Call type Start Pattern
1)70-- 00 -------------------- 3 BOTH --:--

I did resuse Pool 592 and the system did not create pool 890 like some references stated.

I am a little unsure about the Barrier Code and how it is used.

I am thinking that if I no one has any ideas, then I will pull the new T1 card, restore to early June, Reinsert the card and reconfigure the Card, NonLocal UDP, UDP Table, etc. Maybe that will resolve this issue as it seems it should not be an issue by default. Though this might be my ignorance at work.

Thanks Again,
Jeremy Gruen

Thanks for your response.

Just to make sure that I am on the same page:
Sys Program->LinesTrunks->RemoteAccss and set TIE and Non-TIE to Unrestricted under Restrictions.

If that is what you are saying then I have changed it without success (reference printout in my second post), but I have not rebooted the switch after making the change. Is that a requirement to make it take effect? Or worth trying to see if it resolves the issue?

I won't claim to be using the correct document, but I followed page 4-9 from the Merlin Legend Network Reference from August 1998.

Also, I might be entirely on the wrong path as to what the issue is.

Thanks Again,
Jeremy Gruen

Maybe this is my problem and sorry to keep throwing out these things. Switch Identifiers? It does not appear that I have one defined for the trunks on my PRI (549-572). This is another area where I am pretty ignorant. Can I give them a number of 2? It is not a Avaya anything (dare I speak the word Asterisk, but think IP interface to the darling Magix). Does giving those trunks a number restart or require a restart of the phone system/switch?

I am throwing out things, because I am ignorant and read the manuals and it says things like:

If the switch identifiers are not properly set, any or all of the following problems may occur:

* ARS not working across systems (the switch can’t identify tandem versus central office lines).

You guys seem like a great place to at least bounce them off of before I go breaking something not already broken.

Thanks Again,
Jeremy Gruen

Well I got brave and assigned a 2 to trunks 549-572 and it resolved my issue. Thanks again for at least just letting me throw my ideas out here and validating that I was heading in the right direction.

Thanks,
Jeremy Gruen

Well... I spoke a little early. That fixed ARS, but the 8 and 72 are Pools (renumbered?) and they still forward to the operator.

I will keep digging, but if anyone has a though, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jeremy

DISA is not your problem...that is used on inbound trunks (like CO, etc) to another trunk (TIE, CO, etc)...from a TIE to a local CO line, it is FRL that is locking you out..also make sure the inbound side has access to the POOL you want to go out on....DISA (remote access) has nothing to do with this setup (Tandem) Barrier codes is used to prevent outside callers from hacking your switch...The barrier code would be a 6-10 digit number that you must enter as a password before you get internal dialtone...dialing in, DISA would answer with a boop boop, dialtone...then you dial the code, and you get another dialtone..from there, you are now like a normal station on the switch at the site..depending on FRL of the phone, you can call outside or inside numbers..
I ONLY use Remote Access to get into the modem...set the Remote Access number to RESTRICTED internal, put a GOOD barrier code and then you can dial in, enter the code, then dial *10 direct to the dialup modem.

Hmmm my last reply looks a little WRONG...let me reword it (a good night's sleep does wonders!)....
DISA is for OUTSIDE access to your switch...not for Trunk to Trunk TANDEM operation....DISA is nomally setup to allow certain users to dial in from outside (home, cell phone, etc) and be able to use the company system's resources (especially if they want to make an internal call or a LD call that is billed to the company and not their home number)...
Trunk to Trunk is called Tandem operation and does NOT require the use of a barrier code, etc. It is just setup as a user on that switch....To have a user though dial in from a remote site and then be able to dial the pool codes is not best idea...if the user at the remote site dials 9+xxxxxxxxx for outside and the call NEEDS to go through the remote site, then the call should be dialed as such then ROUTED by the PBXs....the caller should not be dialing access codes themselves...only ARS...IF the caller is dialing extensions, then nonlocal UDP is used to route the call...but the remote user should really NOT be able to go say 890 from the remote switch, access the ties, then dial 70 or 899 on that switch and go out.....UNLESS they need access to a pool that is NOT in ARS...that the only exception (Wish the Legend/MAGIX could have another access code for network dialing such as 8-xxxxxxx so that would eliminate the need for giving out POOL numbers to users). YOU COULD almost do it with UDP but dialing say 8 would not give a user a second dialtone....and UDP dialing is limited compared to ARS.

The 8 and 72 Pools are Foreign Exchanges or some other term which means they are just lines that exist in a different area code. People in those areas dial them for local access to us and people in the building dial them to make local calls to those areas. I am not sure if ARS could handle routing those area codes to those pools, but I suspect it could. There are a lot of things about the Merlin that I suspect are not configured efficiently.

I have tried to drop these lines (they cost a total of $1000/month) and go with an 800 number. Administration does not like it. We are in a rural area, serving an entire county plus and numbers two miles down the road are not local to us. They think the 800 number will alienate us....

If I can not make the 8 and 72 work from a remote system that is not the end of the world. The 8 is getting replaced with a SIP Trunk as soon as I can get a signature. The 72 should make the same change within a year and we are only talking about a couple of phones. The point of this is really making those trunks IP based so that we can eliminate the AT&T mileage tax.

Right now I route them over an analog port to the Merlin and dial out as an extension, but the quality is poor (digital->analog->digital->analog+delay+delay+delay). I will probably just tell those users to dial long distance over there for the time being.

Thanks for the help. I am thinking I am to a workable scenario.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Allow me to REPEAT and CLARIFY my original response.

First off, yes you are correct to set the Tie & Non Tie lines to UNRESTRICTED for Remote Access. You need to do this in order for the calls coming in on one trunk (NETWORK PRI) to be able to go out on other trunks from that PBX and to be able to come in on an outside line and go out over the NETWORK PRI Trunks.

You should set your ARS on the REMOTE switch to send the digits you need to call out on the MAIN switch also.

You could, if you want to, fix it so that ARS handles all of your Routing of outside calls. This way you could do away with the different POOL Codes and just let the robot do it.

You would have to build tables to accommodate this, but it is quite doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back