Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trunk out of service alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty_IT

Technical User
Feb 13, 2017
CA
Been noticing a very odd issue over the last few days.

Each night, I see alarms for several if not all of the analog (POTS) lines go out of service, but within the same minute, the alarm is cleared. Would this be an issue on the carrier end or within our building?

most likely a carrier issue, have them test the trunks

Anyway we can test them first? carrier will charge us an arm & a leg to test, and of course it wont be during the time it's been happening (between 11pm and midnight)
what's the catalyst or what occurs to trip the alarm in the first place might be a better question?

trunk going out of service will trigger the alarm, is it always between 11 and 12pm

It may actually be the carrier testing the trunks, BT do that every night and it involves removing the usual battery voltage that the new Analogue trunk cards can detect and that causes the alarm. I was told that there's a timer before the alarm is generated but sometimes the tester takes a bit longer. maybe your carrier's test always takes longer...

starting at 11:11pm and all cleared by 11:48pm
No other issues with the plant that I can see - network wise, not that they are connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back