Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Truncated Memo

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicktown

Technical User
Jul 13, 2004
CA
I am calling values from a memo field type using a query expression. The memo is being truncated. How do i stop this?

This is my expression:

Expr3: IIf(IsNull([tblParagraph]![TEXT]),"The text for this paragraph has not yet been entered into the databse",[tblParagraph]![TEXT]) [b/]

To my knowledge, the number of characters in a text box allowed is 65,535.

I know that on Forms and Reports, if you use the Format property of a text box, then the contents will be truncated at 255 characters (at least in MS Access 97 SR2)

Make sure the format section of the text box is blank. If that doesn't work, try taking out the and and see what happens.

~Joel
As common courtesy and to help other members who might find your thread helpful in the future, please respond if the advice given resolved your issue.

It took my B as "AND", I meant take out the Bracket B expressions

~Joel
As common courtesy and to help other members who might find your thread helpful in the future, please respond if the advice given resolved your issue.

Sory about those 's . they arent actually in my coding. It was a mistake putting them thre. Ok i have nothing in the Format property box. This problem only occurs when i call a field from an expression, and not when i call the field straight up. Somehow the expression in the query is taking a memo of size 65535 and making it a 255 character text.

Any more ideas?

I have no idea, it may be that calling a field using an expression treats it the same as format. Never heard of that before though. Anyone else have feedback on this, it must have happened to others?

~Joel

I have the same problem. In a report where the data source is a query the Memo field gets truncated, if the data source is straight to a table then the memo field doesn't get truncated.

I have no solution though yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back