Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Truncated Folder and File Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

zggs90

Programmer
Sep 3, 2001
GB
When I enter MyComputer and select the following folder which contains MyDocuments

C:\Documents and Settings\G G Spalding.CMC-E2

it also contains many folders and files for which the first few letters are missing. For example there are folders "yDocuments", "uments" and "ents" all of which seem to be left truncations of MyDocuments.

Within each folder there are various files but usually only a few with dates two years ago to two days ago.

Any ideas about what may be causing these unusual folders and files to be created. The file types are varied and are not all from a specific program e.g. .doc

I have deleted some of the folders and there seems to be no adverse effect but I would like to know the cause.

Any ideas?

Do you have odd characters, inability to delete folders or files, files that you did not create, or any other issues with these truncated objects?

(Testing for Bot control of the drive)

Do you have any issues with other dialogue boxes; for example, strange characters or blank panes?

(Testing for the existence of wrong versions of System files, or corrupt system files)

If you right click your drive in My Computer, Properties, Tools, Error checking and checkmark both boxes to schedule a chkdsk, and let the chkdsk perform, are there any errors or does it do the chkdsk clean?

(Testing for hard disk errors in the MFT or directory areas of the hard drive).

No problems with chkdsk

No issues with dialog boxes

No odd characters

Does this help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back