Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Truetype fonts not clear on monitor screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jskang

Programmer
Feb 18, 2003
GB
The truetype fonts especially arial bold are not sharp like bitmapped on the screen. Is it a virus? I try printing on word document, the text are fine and sharp. Does anybody know why and what can I do to make this fonts clear on the monitor.

Many thanks

JSK

Virus????

maybe get a new monitor !!!!!

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Monitor type? ClearType is indented for LCD monitors and won't look good on any CRT. Even then, because of the way the human eye interprets colors, the anti-aliasing of ClearType may look great to one person but total garbage to another. It's very subjective.

Go to start, settings, control panel, display, appearance, effects (the button just over the advanced button on the lower right side), and change the Clear Type setting to standard if you are using a monitor other than an LCD - if you are using Windows XP. If not, find the equivalent in your operating system. Clear Type and True Type refer to two different things. I believe that True Type should display the same on the (CRT)monitor as on the printer. Clear Type maximizes the quality of display on non CRT displays.

If you already have it set properly - that is, you have a non-CRT monitor, then I suggest you download X-teq's tweaking utility which has a plug-in which allows one to adjust the settings within Clear Type (or CoolType).

Good luck and let us know how you solve the problem.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Srguru. It's still not working. I am using Windows 98. What is the web address for download X-teq's tweaking utility?

JSK

X-Setup 6.3 is the program you want to download. Just follow the instructions, save to disk, install as directed, include all add-ins and plugins. Use the defaults until you get comfortable with the program. The real strength lies in the explanations within the program.

I do not know if win98 supported clear type because I got my flat screen when I installed win xp. Only the plugins appropriate for your operating system will be available in Xteq. What kind of monitor are you using, and what kind of graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back