Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TrueSync: can't install on Win XP! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppco

Technical User
Oct 12, 2008
US
Hello all. I have downloaded TrueSync 2.0b for my computer, running Windows XP Pro, but the Setup.exe file will not run and I cannot install it.

I had the program running, but uninstalled it after it would run other than the program nameplate appeared on the screen.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Dear ppco,

Check out
faq807-5203

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Had identical problem and just solved it.

1) If you have calendar/address/ etc files, good idea to locate them and back them up

2) Remove Starfish truesync program from system. I used the control panel Add/Remove function

3) After I did the remove, the process said the Starfish Folder was not deleted from the Program folder. I manually deleted this folder. Warning: This is where the user files are located. To be safe, you may want to simply rename the Starfish folder rather than delete it.

4) Finally, click Start/Run and enter RegEdit. Open HKey_Local_Machine, Software, and search for Starfish. Delete the Starfish entry. Close RegEdit and reboot.

5) Run the install.

6) After installing, copy the data files back to the program and you should be good to go.

Until I deleted the Sarfish Registry entry (step 4), the installation program would never run. Once I did, it installed perfectly and the program now open again from the desktop icon.

Hope this fixes your problem.

Dear Vosburgh,

Thanks very much for the information, you might stick a copy of your post in the FAQ pages here at Tek-Tips.
I would suggest that there be one caveat, in that you inform people first that anybody who does any editing in the registry be VERY VERY careful.
You are experienced, but not all people are and as there is no undo in the registry it might be advisable to back up the Starfish key in the registry before deleting it. Just in case there is a problem..... the key can be restored by just double clicking it.
Could you also add the registry path of the key.

Once again thanks for your very useful post.

Regards
JIm

Hello all:

None of these fixes worked . . . but I found the problem. I have a Dell Dimension computer and once I disabled (via the Task Manager) the sprtcmd.exe "process" (a Dell monitoring program), TrueSync loaded right up and can be used without difficulty!

Moral: if you have a Dell, beware of Dell's sprtcmd.exe blocking older software!

Thanks to both of you who suggested fixes; it is much appreciated.

Dear ppco,

Thank you too for that suggestion, have a star!

There are several other processes that stop TruSync or Sidekick loading, I must make a list; so as a suggestion, if anyone else finds any, please post here and we can then put a list in the FAQ pages.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back