Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Troubleshooting Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

jneiberger

Technical User
Jan 21, 2005
US
What sorts of tools does ShoreTel provide for troubleshooting problems or gathering status information on phones and other VoIP devices?

I've used a little bit of Cisco VoIP stuff and I wasn't very impressed with their troubleshooting tools. They have a lot available but they don't make it easy on you.

That is a vague question.

They offer a few things for you right in the shoreware director (their configuration server). There are quick look tools, event logs, phone status', shoregear switch status, application (like VM) servers status, etc. They also have a system/network monitor package now that monitors the devices and the network they reside on.

There are some other things you can use too, such as log files and command line reporting plus some limited canned crystal reports that show some useful info.

There is also a really handy tool called the Trunk Test Tool which allows you to test trunks (analog, T1, PRI, SIP, etc). It also allows you to monitor calls and keep more detailed records of those calls in log files for easy viewing later.

There are tools available, it depends on what you want to do. In some cases though there could be better tools, such as to watch how many calls were taking lost packets or jitter, etc. But no one really has that except Avaya, and even thiers is not easy to use really.

I hope that helps somewhat.

EV

Shoretel has a new Network Monitoring Manager tool for some really indepth analysis capabilities now of your LAN/WAN traffic. You can read about it on their website:
I ain't tried it yet, but I really want to take it for a test spin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back