Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Troubleshooting packet loss between remote offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

confus9d

Technical User
Jul 11, 2007
US
Hello,

I have a network that consists of couple remote networks connecting through vpn in a hub-spoke model. Recently I've been seeing issues using applications hosted on a remote server. From time to time i see my ping request timing out. I was hoping some one can suggest me a some tools/guide lines to find out exactly what's happening. thanks.

You are using the internet as a backbone so there isn't much you can do about vpn timeouts. However, I would check your VPN hardware for errors and/or misconfiguration.

Run tracert to the remote site. It will give you ping times to every router between you and there. If there's a router that has erratic delays, and it is operated by your ISP, you can complain to them.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Pathping the remote server from all remotes, and from the server to the remote endpoints, this will show which routers are tossing packets and how much. This needs to be done from all endpoints involved, as each endpoint likely has different routers involved.
Adjust the MTU (if possible) in your routers at all points so the offending router(s) do not drop the packets; also there may be a setting in your end points concerning the handling of packet fragments.
This may not help the program timeout, but will rule out the routers along the way. If routers are dropping packets, it does make a big difference as to VPN speed and connectivity.
With VPN, unless you have major bandwidth, and really fast VPN coprocessor endpoints, you really should not run programs through it...you should be using Terminal services (along with VPN for security).

Test MTU with TCP optimizer...

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back