Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Troubleshooting Access 97 as front end to Oracle 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feldsott

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2001
US
I have Access 97 installed on Windows NT 4 Workstation. I have an Access database that is supposed to connect to an Oracle database on a server in another location.
I open Access (it shows the login page), enter a valid ID and password, and it goes to the next logical screen, but then shows an hourglass - and that's where it stays. No error message - nothing.
Oracle connectivity is there - I can do a TNSPING and get to the server, and I can run Oracle Test or SQL Plus and run a query against the Oracle server with no problem. The issue seems to be with Access 97.
Is this an ODBC issue? How can I troubleshoot Access 97 to find out what's happening in the background? My knowledge about these things is next to zero, and I could not find much help by using Technet or other web/printed sources.
Any ideas? Thanks.

What ODBC Driver are you using?

Try the following
Refresh the table links using the Database Link manager
make a new link to another Oracle table (this will show whether or not the ODBC works properly or not, if it doesn't then your ODBC setup is wrong!)

The Microsoft MDAC seems to be stable for Oracle 7.3 and on.

You must set up the ODBC driver correctly to talk to Oracle. I write most of my application frontends to Oracle in this way and rarely have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back