Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Troubles with RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwant

Technical User
Jul 2, 2001
US
I am trying to upgrade some RPMs, in particular mgetty, but when I either try to freshen orinstallthe new package, I get an error:

rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1

Mgetty has pooched and I need to replace it. Can anyone help me.

jwant

Hi,

Yes .. this problem has come up before. You are trying to install a rpm that was built using a version of rpm from 4.0.1 onwards whereas you have an earlier version installed (do a 'rpm -q rpm').
The rpm database format changed somewhat with 4.0.1 and earlier rpm databases are not compatible.

The options are to upgrade rpm itself (but that may cause a lot of dependency issues that mean you need other rpms upgraded as well) or try to find a build of the rpm you need that was done at an earlier date. A third option is to grab the source rpm and do a compile/install fom that, i.e rpm --rebuild <nameofsourcerpm> .

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back