Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Troubles with a Laserjet 4200 not indicating tray out of paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2011
CA
I have a laserjet 4200 at a location. The printer is configured in windows to only print to the manual feed tray (it does have other physical trays but settings are set to not installed). It show's no other trays as available to print to. In the advanced printing preferences, I setup printing to only use the manual tray. Also in the printer itself, it is set to use the requested tray exclusively. However, when the manual tray is out of paper, instead of indicating as such, it goes to the very bottom tray and starts pulling from there. I am at a loss! Does anyone have any ideas?

Should have added Windows 2008 Server, LaserJet 4200 PCL6 drivers.

perhaps the following might lend a clue:

though old, it may still be applicable in your case...

have you tried the PCL5e drivers at all?

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks BadBigBen, I will look at that link. I have tried installing PCL5e drivers, but when I do it comes back and says that the drivers are not installed.

It sounds like a 'limp home' mode in the printer firmware, i.e. some software engineer type assumed that you would rather automatically switch to a non-empty tray than stop printing.

If you don't want the printer to express that behavior, you could try setting all other trays to a different paper size.

Thanks for all your help y'all. Once I went to the site, and started looking at a few things I found out that I wasn't getting all the information. It turned out to be the user profiles on the computers that were causing the issue. Once I recreated all of those, everything started working fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back