Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

troubles after running windows easy transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quadrunner

Technical User
Oct 24, 2003
US
I tried runnning the windows easy transfer to copy files and settings from my xp box to my windows 7 box and i'm having troubles after using the utility. I'v tried two different methods for transfering I've used the external harddrive method and the network method, both which give me the same results. After attempting to log onto the new windows 7 box it wants me to enter the password for the user on the xp box and to confirm my account on the windows 7 box. I get a prompt telling me that password is incorrect. I've had the same results on 3 different user account 2 of which were administrator accounts, and the 3rd. was a standard user. I removed all passwords on the xp box before attempting running the utility. I logged on all 3 xp accounts making sure a password wasn't needed. Not sure how to proceed.

Which password are you talking about? Is it one that Easy Transfer asks you to use to protect the migration files, or is it the user's logon password to Windows?

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer

Description of Windows Easy Transfer for Windows Vista

"PCMover is the only program available that moves all your programs, files and settings from your old PC to your new one"

The Easiest Way to Move to Windows 7!

"It may seem confusing, but here’s the solution: PCmover Upgrade Assistant. XP to Windows 7? No problem! Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional? Yep, we do that. How about Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit? Of course!"

PCMover

The password being asked for is the one that each user will have,that's the problem I removed the passwords on the xp box before using the easy transfer utility. When I logged onto the new box it asked for the previous xp password so that it could setup each users desktop and profile. The only time that the easy transfer password was asked for was on the initial transfer of files from the xp to windows 7.

Well, just to see (since you say you removed the passwords), have you tried just hitting <Enter> when it asks for the password? Sometimes if no password is set, you just leave it blank, hit <Enter>, and all is fine.

If that doesn't work, what about this? After removing the passwords, did you log into each account at least once before making the transfer? If not, I wonder if Windows has to load that user's profile in order to actually make the change to the password "official."

Also, if you still have the original hardware to where you can still run the old Windows XP setup, you may be able to use a bootable program to break any existing passwords on the old install. You'll have to Google for that, it's not something we can really discuss here, I think. The reason is that the same type tools can be used for the wrong reasons. From what I've seen, at least some can run fully on their own, under some sort of a small Live bootable Linux distro.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I did log onto each user after removing password. I also tried just hitting the enter key with the same results. I've read some posts on the web about oter people having issues with the esay transfer utility, so I went ahead and purchased the laplink pcmover and all seems well for now.

Thanks,

Quadrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back