Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble writing events to custom event logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

afroblanca

Programmer
Jul 15, 2005
US
Hello all,

I have created two custom event logs for my ASP .NET web applications. For now, let's call them Log A and Log B. For some reason, whenever one of my programs writes an error to Log A, the error will show up in both Log A and Log B.

If I try to write an error to Log A, the error will show up in Log A as it should, with the proper description :

Description :
This error should appear in Log A.

However, it will also show up in Log B, with a description that looks like this :

Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( MySource ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: This error should appear in Log A.

I've looked in the registry, and the logs have different Files specified: /windows/system32/config/LogA.evt and /windows/system32/config/LogB.evt. Strangely, though, when I look in /windows/system32/config/ I don't see either LogA.evt or LogB.evt. Instead, I see a file that had previously been used for one of the log files, LogA_OLD.evt. This file should no longer be in use by anything, but when I try to delete it, Windows prevents me, and tells me that the file is in use by somebody.

The most frustrating part is that we have a staging web server that is set up identically to the production server - same registry keys for the event logs. However, I don't have this problem on my staging web server - the right errors always make it to the right event logs, and all the .evt files show up in /windows/system32/config/ like they should.

Any idea what could be going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back