Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble working with formulas and dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

laragon

Programmer
Aug 31, 2000
US
I have several people on call, and they get paid by the case and I am trying to get them a report of an average of call cases per call day each one has. The problem is that when I cannot make a formula to count the days people are on call, every time it counts the total numbers of cases.
I have tried the =count(dateofservice), I have tried grouping the records in days and adding a field with a =1 with a running sum for the group and then trying a forumula with the =count(*)/max([field]) and it hasn't worked.
The way of getting the average would be the total number of cases for an individual divided by the number of days for that same individual. I can get the total number of cases for each person, but I cannot make it get the days.
For example when I have tried it, for example: a person has a total of 6 cases in the month and on 04/18 had 2 cases and 3 on 04/20 and 1 on 04/29. Instead of getting 3 as the days the individual was on call I get the total number of cases which are 6.
Any suggestions? ideas? anything ! please..
I hope somebody can understand my problem... I am desperate....

I'm not sure where you are trying to do this, but you could create a query that grouped on name and date and then get a count from the query.

For example, If you have Table1 with three fields, Field1, Field2, and Field3:

Joe 4/18 Case 1
Joe 4/18 Case 2
Joe 4/20 Case 3
Joe 4/20 Case 4
Joe 4/20 Case 5
Joe 4/29 Case 6

Using this SQL:

SELECT Table1.Field1, Table1.Field2, Count(*) AS Count
FROM Table1
GROUP BY Table1.Field1, Table1.Field2;

You get:

Joe 04/18/2000 2
Joe 04/20/2000 3
Joe 04/29/2000 1

The NUMBER of rows is your count of days. The sum of the Count column is your number of cases.

Let me know if that helps.

Great !!
It worked...
Thanks a lot !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back