Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble With VLAN 2 on a 3500 Catalyst.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastHackem

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2001
US
I will try to describe our test setup best I can:

1.(2) 3500 Catalyst switches.

-On each of the switches, there is 1 router and two Aironet radios, described below:

***2 interfaces on the routers. E0 is a member of vlan 1 on the switch, E1 is a member of vlan 2 on the switch (each have a different network number but they jive as far as next hop goes.) I couldn't do sub-interfaces with dot1q encapsulation on the 1600 series routers we are using, so I had to put each VLAN on a different interface (e0,e1). EIGRP running.

***Since we have 2 VLANS, there is one radio per VLAN to transfer the VLAN over microwave

***The switches have trunking set on int fa 0/1 which is connected to port e0 VLAN1 on the router. I am running dot1q, not ISL since this switch is older (and suckier I guess). I have assigned ports to appropriate vlans etc.

2.My problem is:

***I can ping every IP address that exists on both networks from the routers and switches. I can also ping everything from a workstation connected to a port belonging to vlan 1. When I try to ping from a workstation that is connected to a vlan 2 port on the switch, I can't even ping the local gateway on the router. There is something not right with the trunking or the VLAN 2 itself. I thought that when you plug into a port on a switch that is assigned to a vlan, it is like seamless integration on that network.....So in summary the problem is possibly with:

-port 3 assignment to vlan 2 via the switchport command or
-trunking over port 1 which happens to be connected to port e0 on the router.

Please help!!

I've been reading posts and I think I have a problem...

----I tried to do vlan 1 on e0 and vlan 2 on e1 on each of the routers, because I read somewhere that the crappy 1600 router didn't support dot1q encapsulations on sub-interfaces

-----The trunk on the switch (fa 0/1) is connected to e0 on the router. The router in turn is only routing vlan 1 traffic, so I think I answered my own question.

---------My next question (If I'm correct so far)...How the heck can I encapsulate dot1q on a sub-inter on a 1600 router to make this thing work, or can I???

It is good to have a support pipe to the pros!!

Apparently you can kiss off the 1600 and 802.1q

You need the fastethernet port and the 1600 doesnt have it. Also, even though the 1720 and 1750 have FE, the chipset doesnt suppport trunking so be careful with any new purchase.

MikeS

::snip::
With the introduction of the Cisco IOS IEEE 802.1Q Support feature, Cisco IOS now supports 802.1Q VLAN encapsulation, in addition to the currently supported ISL and IEEE 802.10 SDE encapsulations. VLANs can now be implemented using 802.1Q encapsulation amoung switches that support this standard. IEEE 802.1Q support is currently available for Fast Ethernet interfaces.
:::snip::

This feature is supported on these platforms:

Cisco 1710 router

Cisco 1751 router

Cisco 2600 series

Cisco 3600 series

Cisco 4000-M series (Cisco 4000-M, 4500-M, 4700-M)

Cisco 7200 series

RSP1Cisco 7505

RSP2Cisco 7507 and Cisco 7513

RSP4Cisco 7505, Cisco 7507, Cisco 7513, and Cisco 7576 Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

So I assume that since the router doesn't support 1q on sub-interfaces that I could make a work around by using each interface (e0,e1) to route each vlan right?? This is really a dumb question, but here goes::

-----What is supposed to be connected to the trunk port on the switch, the router or the radio?? I was going to attempt to trunk over two ports and set 1 radio on each, would that work?? I know that you have the answer Normal, thanks for your help.

-Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back