Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble with newly run cord..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwessell

Programmer
Jan 26, 2006
US
Hi all,

I've just run two sets of cat5 between two bldgs. One of the cables is functioning just fine.

However, the other cable is giving me some issues.. I've got a cat5 cable tester, and it shows the cable as being fine..

However, when using the cable, it doesn't seem to hold a connection.. Placing the tip into the ethernet jack on a PC, it goes back and forth between cable disconnected and trying to grab a IP address.

The cords pretty long (No way to tell length as it goes underground between two bldgs).. But the other cable is working fine and just a little shorter.

I've tried a few tips, to no avail.. Could this be a break in the cord somewhere that the cable tester isn't picking up? Is there anyway to trace or track that?

Thanks
David

What is the sequence of the conductors in your "tips" - did you follow a wiring standard such as 568-B? Does your tester just check for continuity, or can it detect "split" pairs?

Suspect you are going to need access to a more thourough test device. Something that is capable of distance measurment and crosstalk.
You may be at the fuzzy edge of connectivity. Other devices might be able to talk to each other (try 2 switches) but even if they do, you are still likely to have problems with that cable losing connection.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm pretty new to wiring, so it's appreciated..

I have this tester:

(States it tests for opens, shorts, miswires, reversals and split pairs).

and I wired to B standard..

Does anyone have a suggestion for a tester? Something I can pick up at HomeDepot/Lowes or some place that's usually local?

Thanks
David

Does the wire have footage markings on it? It is probably too long. You may also run into ground imbalance issues too. What do you have for Entrance protection? I Would Pull in a fiber and be done with it.

Unfortunately the wire doesn't have foot markings on it.. I'm needing to run a line from a T1 Circuit to the servers, which exist in another bldg..

So I think it has to be cat5?

Thanks
David

I suppose, my main question is there a way to determine if it's a length issue, or a break somewhere that I can't find? Is there a tool that would do this sort of thing?

IIRC it is called a TDR, a time domain reflectometer.

That must be some really cheap and old Cat 5 if it doesn't have ft markings.

dwessell,

You mentioned this is being used for a DS1 circuit?

See thread575-1278151: Extending the demarc for a PRI

CAT5, 5e & 6 are not for T1/DS1! Read my post for the info...

....JIM....

Female straight through connector on one end to mate the connectors. Then test with a continuity meter on the other. Pin 1 to pin 1 etc which might determine short or open. You can walk the length and add MDF distances. Limit 100 meter end to end.

Radio Shack connector ~$5

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

Syquest.. The line from the demarc to the circuit box is as you describe, the cat5 I'm running is from that circuit box to the router, which must be a cat5.. however, thanks for that post.. I'm marking it to read thoroughly later.

Peter.. Thanks for that, I think I'll go that route, much appreciated... Do those connectors reduce signal strenght at all? That is, if I end up with 3-5 along the length of my wire, will it cause me issues?

Thanks
David

anytime Ethernet leaves a bldg it should go to fiber , why not just pull some fiber and be done with it ?

what kind of protection did you use on the cable ?

you would probably be best served by getting a competent cable contractor to set this up correctly for you

I cant imagine cat 3/4/0r 5 cable without foot markings

did you use stranded cable by chance ?

Skip... What type of fiber do you recommend?

I purchased cat5e from HomeDepot to run between the bldgs.. I'll back off in the foot markings, they probably are there, and I didn't realize it...

I appreciate all the recommendations, they are very helpful..

dw

It's not extending a demarc.. From the demarc to the circuit board is set, I'm extending from the circuit board to the router, which is set for cat5..

Thanks
David

Please explain what you are referring to as the circuit board. The router should be directly plugged into the Demarc aka Smart Jack that your carrier provided.

Hi Brian,

I (And my provider) considered the demarc the spot where the lines enter my bldg. So demarc -> Smart Jack (Circuit) -> Cisco Router.

Sorry for the confusion... I'm needing to extend the line from the Smart Jack to the router, which is connected via cat5...

Does at least unmuddy the rivers some?? :)

Yes it does, most people consider the demarc and the Smart Jack as one in the same as it is the demarcation of the circuit. Hence my confusion. Then again, I am a network guy so I may be wrong.

Are you going to use both cables to extend different circuits?

On a side note ....

Why wasn't the circuit installed in the building where the router is located?

Hey Brian,

I'm a programmer, so I probably screwed up the terms :)

I'm using one cable to extend the circuit, and the other for some other networking needs..

The reason for the different bldgs is we're moving offices, and the telcom is slow to move the circuit. Not to mention they want to charge an outgrageous fee for it ($1000+).. So I'm doing something to work it out short term.... Again, thanks for all of the suggestions..

Thanks
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back