Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble with ip and linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozispimp

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
hi all,

i have a machine running xp pro, a 3com cable modem, and a linksys router.. now.. when i plug the cable modem directly into the computer i get one ip address, and when the router connects, it gets a completely different address..

the ip address i want is anything other than the one my router picks up.. i've had this ip address for like 6 months now, and can not get rid of it, only way is for me to connect the modem directly into my computer.

i've updated the firmware, even reset the router hoping that maybe the memory of the ip was still in there, but to no avail.. i really can't stand having this ip..

i have optimum online service..

btw, i've done dhcp release/renew.. get the same stupid ip.. any suggestions?

thanks,

It is suppose to do that.
Is your router assigning an IP such as 192.168.0.2?

To get a different IP address usually requires that you switch the cable modem of for awhile, long enough for the ISP's server to release your existing IP and remove it from it's cache, then you should get a new IP.

Best to check when the lease is due to be renewed and then release it in the router, and switch off the modem and router.

This can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

If your router allows you to set a MAC address (or a NIC physical address) change it to the one on your PC... then theoretically you will get another address.

DHCP servers generally hold IPs to physical addresses, so if your NIC address changes (it did when you plugged your modem directly in your modem) you should get a different IP.

This is all about the linksys router, it's NAT'ing your connection and assigning you an IP address.

Go to 192.168.1.1 and find the DHCP tab. It will have a place where you can specify the IP Ranges for it to hand it, set something which you find to be more to your taste... it really doesn't matter what you set though, because this is not the IP Address people outside of your router see, only people inside your router.

-Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back