Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble With In-Line Coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanin247

Programmer
Apr 23, 2001
US
To Whom It May Concern:

Okay, now you're probably like, how can you have trouble with an in-line coupler, just connect both ends. But thats not the problem. I recently bought a 8-Wire In-Line Coupler from RadioShack to join my two 50ft RJ-45 cables together. However, when I did so, it did not recognize the connection (my router's lights did not light up). The thing that strikes me is that the coupler's packaging says "Connects two modular cords (RJ31 or electronic key system connection)" But the guy at RadioShack told me that it will work since an RJ-45 cable is an 8-wire cable. What do you think? Should I return the coupler and purchase a more recognizable coupler? Or is the coupler I have now okay and there's something else I'm missing? I appreciate your help. Thanks.

kanin

Oh those silly Radio Shack guys. A bit of background...data cables are straight through cables. If pin one has a white/orange wire on one end, it will at the other end as well. Pin for pin, generally, data cables are straight through. Telephone cables on the other hand, have a twist in them. On telephone cables, pin 1 is connected to pin 4 on the other end (assuming a 4 conductor cord) or pin 8 for an 8 conductor cord.

Now, an RJ31 wiring scheme is what would be used for your alarm panel. It too terminates on an 8 pin plug or jack, and using the coupler would probably be fine. A four line phone that used an 8 pin plug and jack would be wired to the USOC wiring configuration and would work with the coupler.

Technically there is no such thing as an RJ-45 cable. RJ45 is a definition for how to configure an 8 conductor plug and jack. 8 conductor jacks can be RJ45, RJ48S, RJ48C, RJ48X, RJ31X, you get the idea. It is (incorrectly) commonly used to refer to the ethernet data wiring that can be terminated on 8 pin jacks and plugs with two different (568A and 568B) standards. Confused? It can be confusing when you look at all the options available.

However, to answer your question, it sounds to me like you are adding a twist to the data cable, which it doesn't like. It simply doesn't connect the correct pins. I suggest using Cat5 cable as a minimum, and making sure it is wired for ethernet use.

Good Luck!
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I've had a bad experience with those couplers too. I discovered that you had to push on both cables entering the coupler to get a good connection. As soon as I let go, the link would be broken eventhough both connectors were clicked in to the sockets. It was a temporary solution but I ended getting a longer cable. I don't trust those 5$ couplers at all.

anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back