Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble with Copy files over network

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytech2003

Programmer
Jul 14, 2003
US
I have 2 computers networked together with a linksys router, one is 98SE and one ME. Sometimes when I Copy and Paste a file from one computer to the other, over the network, the files do not copy correctly.

Most of the time they copy correctly, but sometimes a file gets corrupted during the Paste operation. There is no error of any kind during the Paste operation, but if the file is opened it may be bad. This has happend with gif, jpg, txt, mdb, and exe files.

Is there someway to force windows to verify any file it writes across the network?

Wayne

Hmmmm this sounds suspicious.. If one file is being corrupted everytime you copy files across, how big is the file your copying across cause you could be running out of a page file space.. its a strange thought though.

Clear out your temp files for your windows temp folder, although i doubt this is the solution it may just work :)

Also i would say check your hdd for bad sectors n such, there could be corruption on the files caused that way. :)

all i can think of at the moment...

The files may be large (18mb) or small (1k). Does not matter if I copy one file at a time, or many files in one action. It does it randomly. It may happpen when using either computer to do the Copy/Paste action.

I routinely purge the windows temp directory, so that not it. And I check the HD about once a month. As I said there are no Error Messages during the copy/paste operation.

I just thought there may be a seting somewhere to force copy verify operations.

You could use the Win 98 SE backup program as that has file verification on it.

What about the DOS, "Copy /V" command?

I know this is on Win98, but is it on ME and XP home? I could make a batch file to copy the needed files, if I cannot find a way to make Windows Copy/Paste to verify.

I think xxcopy will work on all OS's. I forget where to get it, but it does alot of cool file copy and backup procedures with verification. And it is freeware.

I'll bet your problem is a network issue. Dropped packets or collisions. Make sure all the devices in the chain have the same settings. On the NIC's and in the router check for the speed (10 or 100) and duplex mode (half or full).

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Since it's happening on either computer, I'd check the network cards and cables, then the connections themselves. If all seems OK, check the router. It may be heading south on you.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

If the problem is the network, should there not be a error message? Both computers are set for 100 half duplex.

How can I test the router?

The setup is, two computers to the router. The router then to the DSL SpeadStream Router/Modum. Never seem to have any trouble with either on the internet.

Maybe the router has a log? Probably not. Can you check its settings? Here at work we have found auto-negotiate to be a problem.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back