Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble with a Select query

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisUK

Programmer
Sep 26, 2002
GB
Hi,
I'm trying to work out a way to find the following info from a table called TRAINING:

EMP_REF COURSE_REF
1 1
1 2
1 3
1 4
2 1
2 2
2 3 etc

From this data I need to find which employees have taken a course, and which ones haven't.

First is obviously easy

select EMP_REF from TRAINING where COURSE_REF=1

Finding out which employees haven't done a certain course im finding a little tricky.
Ive tried

select EMP_REF from TRAINING where COURSE_REF!=1

but obviously because each employee does many courses this returns all the other courses so that wont work.

Ive tried a few other ways but cant get my head around it!!

Any help or suggestions would be great.
Im using BCB6.0 and IBX 6.08 and Firebird 1.5

TIA,
Kris

One way would be to use the not exists predicate and issue something like this:

select e.EMP_REF from EMP e where not exists (select * from TRAINING t where e.EMP_REF = t.EMP_REF and t.COURSE_REF = 1)

I am assuming in this case that training is merely a convenient table that links the EMP and COURSE tables together in a particular relationship.

Or you can go with a variation like this:

select distinct t1.EMP_REF from TRAINING t1 where not exists (select * from TRAINING t2
where t2.EMP_REF = t1.EMP_REF and t2.COURSE_REF = 1)

Or there may be other similar answers...

hth
ujb

Hi ujb,
Thanks for the quick reply!! The first option worked like a charm I used

select E.EMP_REF,E.FORENAME,E.SURNAME from EMPLOYEE_DETAILS E where not exists
(select * from ONE_OFF_TRAINING t where e.EMP_REF = t.EMP_REF and t.ONE_OFF_COURSE_TITLE=:ONE_OFF_COURSE_TITLE) ORDER BY E.SURNAME")

Thanks Again,
Kris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back