Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble w/ links in pop up menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

backspin

Technical User
Mar 13, 2002
US
I created a drop down menu in fireworks & am using it in Dreamweaver. Three of the buttons don't actually get any "drop downs", so they are just linked straight to their page (example, the "home" button). Here's the problem: any link to a "drop down" button works fine. Any link to a top level button (home) doesn't work & it's trying to go through the "templates" folder en route to the page--which it shouldn't be doing. I don't know how to specify the correct path to the link (the list in Fireworks just gives file names, doesn't let you browse for the location), and I also don't understand why they all aren't working then, since every page except the home page is built w/ a template.

Any ideas?? Here's the link so you can see what I'm talking about:
Click on any dropdown button, then try clicking on the home button.

Any ideas much appreciated!!!

I'm having the same problem. Have you found an answer, or can someone else offer one?

The last site I did, I just gave up trying to make relative links work. I put everything into the root directory. The site I'm doing now is more complicated and I don't want to dump everything into one folder.

The problem is like you described. When using pop-up menus I'll specify what I intend to be a relative link. So when I click on a popup menu item in the "widget" subfolder, no matter where else I'm trying to go on the site, it keeps looking for the page in the "widgets" folder.

Hi

About the issue with the links in the popup menu. Its got to do with the location of the file. When you first create a popup menu and save it in a folder all your URLs / Links must come from that same directory.

I had the same trouble (it took about an hour to realise this and correct the problem).

For example:

My popup menu is saved in the directory
G:\website\Popup Menu

I wanted one of the Links / URLS to be linked to

now if I write that URL in full in the Fireworks URL Popup Menu options it will actually read the path as

G:\website\
The location of the URL / Link becomes wrong.

One should simply put Throne.html as the URL in the Fireworks pop up links Menu.

So instead the correct path will read (upon clicking on the link in the pop up menu).

G:\website\Throne.html

When you upload your site to your hosts server the location of the files will automatically correct itself.

This is for questor 517 I don't think Fireworks/Dreamweaver allows you to specify sperate folders for popup menus and the like (at least not to my knowledge). I know what you mean though it makes everything cluttered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back