Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble viewing webcam with graphedit

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewdaman

Programmer
Aug 5, 2003
CA
Hello all,

I am a TOTAL newbie to DirectX/Show etc. I want to use it to stream a webcam so i can view it on a different machine.

I tried a very simple graph (just to view teh webcam for the moment). i read somewhere that all you need to do to be able to view your webcam is to insert a filter .. (the webcam one).. in my case, go to Graph->InsertFilters->Video Capture Sources->Logitech QuickCam Web. Then you right click on the Capture output pin and say "Render Pin". I did this and i am able to view something. but what i am able to view is terrible! There are "fuzzy lines" across the view window and you can't make anything out! If i wave my hand in front of the webcam, you can see something is moving, but you can't really tell what it is.

I was hoping someone could suggest what i could do to fix this problem. Because i also read somewhere that if my graph doesn't work, tehn there is no point even attempting to write code because that will not work either.

THe precise instructions i read to do what i just described:

"To render live video:
! From filter list, under “Video Capture Sources”, insert filter
for camera
! Right-click on capture pin and select “Render pin”
! Press “Play”"

Available at (on slide 10).

I'm not sure if i need any other filters. I know very little about multimedia stuff.. and there are just so many filters i don't even know where to start trying to fix this!

Would really appreciate any input you guys could give me on this!
Thanks a lot!
Drew

normally if your right click on the video source or its output pin you can set its resolution and format.

its likely that it has a default format that your graphics card dosent like and you just need to set it.

u often have to set it before linking capture source to anything else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back