Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble viewing reports in crystal enterprise (db connection problem?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf11

Technical User
Apr 10, 2003
US
I have recently installed Crystal Enterprise 8 and CANNOT view reports through Crystal Enterprise, but CAN view the reports through Crystal Reports 8.5. I have both installed on the same computer. I am connecting to an Oracle Database using an ODBC connection (system DSN).

When I try to view the report through Crystal Enterprise, a logon window opens that states that the report requires more information and prompts me for a username and password for the report and subreports (i have already included the username and password in the database attributes for the report in crystal enterprise). When I enter the information, the same window returns prompting me for the same information. I have gone through the steps of solving the looping logon problem at the crystal support site, but nothing has worked so far. I've been working on this for several days and am very frustrated. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

A few thoughts:

Try re-entering the user and password within CE.

I assume that you're using the CR ODBC and not the Oracle one.

Does it do this for all of the reports?

Try changing to OLE DB and see if that helps.

-k

Thanks for the advice.

I actually just got it working. I was given some patches to install along with installing CE. It turns out that the patches (i don't know which ones yet) were causing the problem. I reinstalled CE without installing the patches and now it works fine. I guess when they say they haven't thoroughly tested the patches they really mean it. My advice: don't install any crystal patches unless you're sure you need them.

I think the monthly hot fixes are quite safe to use as I heard they've been through more testing. Also, sometimes old patches may have issues that would be fixed by new patches...ensure you have the latest patch in the system if you want to patch your system. Otherwise, don't just install fixes without knowing what they are!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back