Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble viewing an OLAP report in BOE XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roddarn

Vendor
Sep 29, 2005
SE
Hi,

We have published an OLAP report (.CAR-file) in BOE XI. This worked fine without errors. When trying to preview the report in CMC though we get the following error: "An error occured connecting to the datasource:Failed to set properties (Database 'xxxxxxx' does not exist)"

The first idea was that it had something to do with rights but we have tried to specify different Data Source users without any luck. Does anyone have a clue? To preview the report in OLAP Intelligence on the BO server works just fine.

Mikael

Mikael,

I'm assuming you are using MS Analysis Services with the DHTML viewer, as I have had the same error.

Search the BO website for these two documents:

"BusinessObjects OLAP Intelligence XI - Configuring Microsoft Analysis Services Security"

"BusinessObjects OLAP Intelligence XI - Architecture - A Technical Overview"

The first includes information on how to configure the Web Component Adapter for connection to Analysis Services which is what is causing your error.

There are a number of options and decisions you will need to make on how to configure this.

Alternatively, you could use the activex viewer which will connect directly to the cube. This is how I have deployed so far - have not had time to work through configuring the WCA with our Windows Admin.

Hope this helps,

Malcolm.

Hi Malcolm!

Thanks for your reply. I have spent the whole day today trying to get the DHTML viewer to work without any luck. I have referred to the document you mentioned as well. The strange thing is that I get the same error message even if I use the ActiveX viewer. The way I did was just switching from DHTML to ActiveX in the Infoview "Preferences". Do I have to change anything else?

Mikael

Mikael,

Have you granted the necessay permissions to the cube via Analysis Manager?

i.e. for the account that the WCA runs under for the DHTML viewer.

or for each individual windows user or windows group for viewing via the activex viewer? Activex connects directly to the cube bypassing Enterpise.

Malcolm.

Another thought Mikael,

Do you also need to create an "OLAP Intelligence Connection" to get the DHTML viewer to work?

You can manage these via the CMC, but the only way I know of that you can create them is via Infoview.

BTW, I have removed this capability from Infoview for end users.

Malcolm.

Malcolm,

Thanks again for your useful replies. I got the ActiveX viewer to work. Someone was messing with the cubes when I was testing resulting in the error messages. This is an acceptable solution for the customer.

About the DHTLM viewer; the only way I understand it will work is through Infoview. It also seemed way to complicated and "non-administrator-friendly" to set up this kind of security. As they only have a few OLAP users it´s much easier to set it up through Analysis Services.

Mikael

Mikael,

Good to hear you have a solution.

I agree with your comments on setting up the dhtml viewer for infoview, which is why I have not been able to put time into getting this working myself.

Malcolm.

Malcolm,

Visited the customer today and disovered another thing that I didn´t see the other day. When viewing an OLAP report for the first time in the ActiveX viewer it also, automatically, installs an "OLAP Intelligence 11 Rich Client" on the viewing computer. According to "Add/Remove Programs" the client is 212 MB(!!!) of size. Is this really necessary? I assumed that a small ActiveX viewer was enough.

Another thing. As you seem to be a well-informed guy, could you have a look at another thread I´ve posted were I haven´t received any replies? The link is as follows:

Mikael

Mikael,

The ActiveX viewer is almost identical to the full content creation tool. The only difference is the container in which the components are displayed. So I don't think it is possible to reduce the size.

OliverS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back