Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble talking between Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott0011

Technical User
Dec 1, 2008
US
I'm setting up a new domain on a new server 2003 r2 to replace our old domain on an old server 2003, both have sp2 and are on the same network. I can see the two domains in the network and the 2 servers can resolve names to ips, but when I try to use the ADMT to migrate users or try to setup a Domain Trust between the 2 I get an RPC error on either side basically saying the RPC server is unavailable. Also tried adding each dc to each other's dns server as a secondary under the Forward Lookup Zones but that fails to work saying the transfer failed. RPC is running on both as is the RPC locator. What am I missing here? Thanks for any help.

The trust needs to be in place before you can use ADMT.

To resolve this issue, add a secondary DNS zone to support name resolution. To do so, follow these steps:
1. In the DNS Manager, right-click Forward lookup zone, and then click New Zone.
2. In the New Zone Wizard, click Next.
3. Under Zone Type, click Standard secondary, and then click Next.
4. Type a name for the zone, and then click Next.
5. Type the IP address of the DNS zone that you want to add.
6. Confirm the information, and then click Finish.

You should now be able to add the trust and from there run ADMT.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Thanks, I did that, the DNS says it failed to transfer from the server. And when trying to create the two trust it says unable to read functional level of the specified forest, the server is not operational.

What is the functional level of the two domains?

Make sure that DNS is set up properly. Be sure that you only list internal DNS servers on the TCP/IP properties for your NIC.

Regards,

Mark

Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Functional level on both is Windows Server 2003, and everything is correct for the DNS as far as I can tell, and the NIC only uses the ip of their respecitve servers. I get the feeling I'm missed one small setting somewhere.

OK, and on a DC in each domain, edit the IP settings and set the secondary DNS server to be the IP of the other domains DNS. Can you then create the trust then?

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the assists but still no luck do not understand why none of these fixes make any difference. Especially why I cannot get the secondary DNS setups to talk to each other.

Got it, was missing the reverse lookup on one DC/DNS added it and just to make sure created PTR records for both and it worked.

Cool, glad you got it working.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back