Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble setting up a network with just two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJ2Joseph

Programmer
Sep 12, 2002
US
I'm trying to make a home network that consists of only two computers. The one client in this network has to connect to the server wirelessly. The server computer uses the Linksys Wireless Access Point Router with 4-Port Switch and the client computer is using the Linksys Instant Wireless PCI Card. The client does connect to the server, but there is no network to speak of. I try to run the network setup wizard on the server, but it always fails saying "Other computer cannot connect to the Internet through this computer. In addition to its Internet connection, this computer must have a connection to your network." All I want is a small network where the client connects wirelessly to the server, but the wizard won't let it happen. Does anyone know how to create the network I'm after?

If I'm following correctly....there are 2 possibilities:

1. you have a broadband connection to the router. In this case, you connect to the internet through the router, not through the other computer.

2. you're using a dialup connection on the non-wireless machine and want to connect the wireless machine through the wired machine. In this case, disable the DHCP function of the router.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, I have a broadband connection hooked up to the router and from the router to my computer. So it would seem I want the client to connect to the router, not the other computer. The question is how do I configure the PCs so that I have a working network. I am using Windows XP Pro on both PCs.

Delete any existing network connections, then try running the xp network connection wizard.. New connection, set up a home or small office network. If there are still problems, post back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back