Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble retrieving Values from JSON object

Status
Not open for further replies.

lameid

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
I found some code, hacked it up managed to retrieve a JSON object from a particular site but I can't seem to manage wrapping my mind around what the objects/members are for retrieving data... There is an attribute in basicinfo that I would like (as well as one more if I can find it) but in looking at the watch and the returned hierarchy, I never could manage to figure out how to retrieve anything. This one stumps me. I never did like playing with Java Script... I can see this one right, I can probably figure others out. Ironically the sample I swiped this from does not seem to work entirely and does not show its object hierarchy in watch window.
Am I missing a function that retrieves attributes or am I just too dense to get the syntax right? In any case please show me the way.

Code:
Sub ReadNPIData(strNPI)

'To find a a sample NPI goto:
    ' [URL unfurl="true"]https://npiregistry.cms.hhs.gov/[/URL]
    ' Enter information like first and last name and state of your doctor
    ' Hit search

Dim NPIRequest As Object
    Dim scriptControl As Object
    Dim JsonObject As Object

Set scriptControl = CreateObject("MSScriptControl.ScriptControl")
    scriptControl.Language = "JScript"

With CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")
        .Open "GET", "[URL unfurl="true"]https://npiregistry.cms.hhs.gov/api/?number="[/URL] & strNPI & "&enumeration_type=&taxonomy_description=&first_name=&last_name=&organization_name=&address_purpose=&city=&state=&postal_code=&country_code=&limit=&skip=", False
        .Send
        Set NPIRequest = scriptControl.Eval("(" + .responsetext + ")")
        .abort
        Stop 'Put Watch on NPIRequest you can view elements... Syntax is eluding me for retrieving elements
             'Clearly it can return a hierarchy
        Debug.Print NPIRequest.Items(1).Number 'just one of several failures I tried this one exudes my frustration

End With

End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back