Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble Recovering DR using Arcserve 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akroma

Technical User
Apr 14, 2005
CA
As a test, i'm trying to DR one of our servers.
windows 2000 advance SP3 with 2 partitions
arcserve 2000 workgroup SP5 with DR option and SQL agent.
I do a full backup to tape.
create the boot diskettes.
and start recovering on a similar server (hardware is the same except there's bigger drives)
once done, i'm able to log into windows, but sql doesn't seem to work. It kept giving me errors that it failed to write to database, and also the sql databases are not present (eventhough they were backed up and are located in the tape session).
i can probably get the sql part to work, but i thought that Arcserve would have recovered the server fully. Is there something else i need to do during the backup or during the restore? Is the arcserve open file option critical to the dr?

thanks in advance

If you are backing up using a database agent then you need to restore those separately after DR has completed. DR does not recover dbagent sessions.

Database agent sessions needs to be restored separately. And particularly with SQL recoveries the problem becomes acute. Reason, the master database although has been backed up as part of the DB session, cannot be restored till the SQL service comes online.

For the SQL service to come online, the master DB is absolutely needed. So for SQL alone, you definitely need to keep an offline copy of the master DB, it can be even kept in the same drive / partition and then after the completion of the DR, just copy the file and put it in the right location. Start the SQL service in single user mode, restore the latest copy of the master DB from online backups and then proceed with the online recovery of other DBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back