Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble joining XP Pro client to 2000 Server domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbialo

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2001
US
My situation involves joining an XP client to a 2000 server domain. I was actually connected to the domain without a problem for a while, but now my XP Pro client can't find the server. I've searched several of the discussions on this site and am coming up with nothing I haven't already tried. I can see another XP pro client when I search in the "entire network", but cannot see the 2000 server or 2000 clients, yet my XP Pro says I am part of the domain. I'm running service pack 2, using DHCP assigned IP, disabled the internal firewall, enabled NetBios over TCP/IP, and several other options. What's even more strange is I can ping the router, ping the server, and ping other pre-XP client machines. What am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

are you able to ping the DC server by server name? Does it resolve to the correct ip address?

Are the results of an ipconfig /all appear normal?

If so, remove the machine account from the Domain. Wait 30 minutes. Re-add the machine account.

adding to bcasters post, I find it good to get the workstation into a workgroup 1st and reboot before going back into the domain.

I agree w/ westredd, unjoin the XP workstation from the domain - put to workgroup - then rejoin. If you're running active directory, make sure you remove the object prior to joining it back to the domain otherwise, you'll receive a msg stating that the object is already present. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back