Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble joining a Win 2k domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

translux

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
I have a newer Toshiba laptop on our system with a fresh install of Win2k pro that was installed and connected to a workgroup. I have been unable to have it join our Win2k server domain. I have tried the internal Ethernet as well as a wireless connection with no luck. I’m able to release and renew an IP and am able to get out to the web. I’ve added additional machines to the system without any trouble. This guy just won’t work!
Any help would be appreciated.

God Bless America

When you add the machine to the Domain, first you must be a domain administrator. Second make sure the Workgroup name is NOT the same as the Domain you are trying to join. Change the workgroup name to workgroup then hit ok. Next try to add it to the Domain and see what happens. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I’m logged in as a domain admin and I changed the workgroup to workgroup and I’m still unable to join the domain. Do I need to manually add a matching entry in the active directory on the server that matches this computer? I thought this happens automatically with W2k.
Thanks for the prompt response.

It should happen automatically. Try adding an entry in AD. I will look into this more later this evening. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Now maybe you just mistyped....but you can not login as Domain administrator of a domain if the computer does not yet belong to the domain.

Can I assum you are logging into the 2KProfessional with the same user name and password of the domain administrator?

If you are familiar with joining a Windows NT 4.0 workstation to a Windows NT 4.0 domain, it should work the same way for 2K domains.

If you are still having problems, you should provide more information to us...give me the error message you get. Go through your event viewer and see if there is any information there.

This technet article points to network settings as being a possible problem:

Maybe file and print sharing isn't enabled on your Windows 2000 domain... here's a technet article that explains more about this error:
Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

I've seen some issues with DNS server. Make sure the pc is using a win2k dns server when adding to directory. Mark
mark@acsconsult.com

1st off I would like to thank everyone for their excellent suggestions and prompt responses. Here’s what solved this issue. My primary Ethernet connection is the Lucent wireless card, so I never connected the built-in wired connection. This seamed to be a major issue. After changing the machine name and the work group no less than three times and being connected via the wired connection I was able to join the domain! After joining the domain via the wired connection the wireless connection joined no problem! I'm guessing that my AD on the server has some issues. Thanks again for everyone’s help. This is the best site on the net!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back