Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble installing Norton AV for Exchange 2.1 on W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge

Technical User
Feb 12, 2001
US
HI I need help on an issue with an install on a Win 2000 advanced server. We are trying to install Norton anti-virus for Exchange 2.1 on a Windows 2000 advanced server platform.The trouble we are having is creating the NAVMSE account we follow all the steps that symantec has at its support site we set up the policies for this "user" but it keeps on telling me that the NAVMSE account doesn't have the "act as part of the operating system" right. we have gone back and followed the steps several times and it keeps on giving us this error. does anyone have any kind of idea why this is happening? has anyone run across this before? any help would be greatly appreciated...:)

Haven't seen this one sorry! I have many problems getting any of these products to install on Terminal Server at all :-(. Are you running TS? If not then I would suggest attempting the install as Administrator or equivalent, if it works this may point you to a lack of authority on the part of your service userid.

Have you already created the MAVMSE account? You need to do so before you install the app. Then in User MGR, go to the advanced settings and allow it to act as part of the operating system.

Giving it admin rights will also cure a lot of problems too. Log on as this user at the server and create a profile for email. Log on to email and send a test.

To test if there is a problem elsewhere, don't use the MAV account, use the main administrator account. This should work no matter what...

We created the NAVMSE account already, and assigned it all the permissions as dictated in the setup at the hyperlink i put in my thread. it keeps on telling me the Navmse user(logging on as that account) doesnt have the appropriate permission "act as part of the operating system priveledge" do you think it may be a policy?

When you specify the account name try using your main admin account and see what happens. If that works then your NAV account is at fault.

I am probably to late for this to help, but here goes anyway. If the Win2k Advanced Server is a Domain Controller then you have to modify the user rights in the default domain controller policy (GPO). This policy will overide the local user rights set on the server itself.

Simon Powell.
MCSE, MCNE, Master CIW, MCT, CNI, CIW CI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back