Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble installing 3D graphic accelerator 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtm111

Programmer
Jun 27, 2001
US
I am trying to install a 3D graphic accelerator on my computer.

I have a compaq 700 Mhz machine with no graphics card installed.

I have a brand new Phillips monitor. I installed a 3D graphic adaptor, plugged the monitor into the port in the new card, and fired up the system. When the machine started to boot, the monitor briefly displayed green, but then shut down to the amber status light, screen blank. I unplugged the card, plugged the monitor back into the original port and everything fired up fine.

What should I look for as potential problems?

i am assuming that you have on-board video?
if so you may have to disable the on-board video in order for the new video card to work. might be a jumper on the m.b. or possibly a bios setting. let me know if i helped or not, thanks

thanks chaosinc for the info - I'm just a programmer, I write artificial intelligence algorithms but couldn't find my way around a motherboard if my life depended on it.

what do I need to check to find out if I have on-board video? and what docs do I need to know how to set the jumpers?

The Compaq site should have everything you need under its support link. Just plug in the model number of the computer.

what slot u in?
u have both of the videocard in at same time?

so it's one in AGP
one in the PCI?

you can look at ur motherboard manual for help.

ff

look at where the MONITOR plugs in. If the port is connected to the Motherboard you have on-board video. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

OK everyone, thanks. Yes, I've got on-board video. I'm going to see if the motherboard has a jumper to disable video. If no jumper, I'll try the Windows Device Manager. If no luck there, I'll update the BIOS.

If someone thinks that's a bad approach, let me know, otherwise, I'm going in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back