Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble getting client machine to be able to browse the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimmccrary

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2002
US
I have a Win2k Server that has 2 network cards installed. One is for the Broadband connection (dynamic but never changes) and the other is for the server (192.168.x.x) to use internally. I've had it up and running for months but I had to rearrange the network cards and now I can't get the client machine to get to the internet. In DHCP, if I list the 192.168.x.x as the router then the client can see the server and ping the 192.168.x.x and also ping the static IP 66.x.x.87 that I have from Broadband. I cannot ping the default gateway IP 66.x.x.86 (from the client). I have tried every combination I can think of but can't get it right. Here are some questions that I have:

On the network card properties:
1) On the 192.168.x.x properties of the card, am I supposed to list 66.x.x.86 (Broadband) under default gateway?

2) On the DNS Server addresses on the 192.168.x.x, am I supposed to use the Broadband DNS server addresses or the local DNS server address (which would be 192.168.x.x)

In DHCP:
1) In DHCP, I have the 192.168.x.x listed as the DHCP server.

2) Under Scope Options, 003 Router - 192.168.x.x; 006 DNS Servers - 192.168.x.x, and both of my Broadband external DNS server addresses; 015 DNS Domain Name - I have my local domain name.

In DNS:
1) On the Interfaces tab, I have All IP address checked. It lists my internal and external Ip addresses.

2) On the forwarders tab, I have tried it with and without and I currently have enable forwarders checked. It Lists both external DNS server IPs that Broadband provides.

In Routing and Remote Access
1) Under Ip Routing - General Tab I have both network cards listed the Sprint has the 66.x.x.87 and the local card has 192.168.x.x listed.

2) If you click on the local card and go to the configuration tab it lists the 192.168.x.x and the router (default gateway) as 66.x.x.86.

That's about everything I can think of right now. I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks for your time.

Kim

Did you try moving the cards back to where they started (and worked)?

Cheers, SDA

NIC questions:
1) No, no gateway needed on the internal card
2) use your internal DNS and forward out to your ISP or to the internet root servers for all else.

DHCP Points:
1) Internal server as DHCP is fine, but if you're using RRAS , then there's no need for any of this.

DNS Points:
1) Use only the inside interface to answer client requests.
On the properties of the outside NIC, you can list your ISP nameservers.

Your internal clients should be using the server internal NIC as their gateway. That card should in turn, be routing requests to the outside NIC...

My co-worker helped me fix the problem. I needed to enable Internet sharing on the Broadband network card.

Thanks for your responses.

Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back