Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble connecting to Oracle with DBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

volfreak

Programmer
Nov 6, 2000
US
All,

I have a database container with some remote views pointing to an Oracle database. I have the DSN entry in the ODBC driver with the appropriate information. When I try and connect using the database container to create/modify the remote views, it just hangs. Never completes the connection to show me the tables.

However, I can use SQLCONNECT and get a connection and can use the ODBC commands to insert/delete records. Unfortunately, what I'm trying to do is make the Oracle tables look just like our VFP tables (~60 tables) and some have so many fields the string length limitation rears its ugly head so I have to use the remote views.

Some specifics.
1. When I installed the Oracle database here at our facility, I was able to use the remote views to access the Oracle tables and our application worked just fine.
2. When I installed our application at our client's location, this is where the error/issue occurs.
3. I'm running Win2K and Oracle was running on NT4 on a separate box.
4. They are running NT4 for the application/ODBC drivers and have the Oracle database running on a UNIX box (IIRC but could be a Windows box).
5. They have MS MDAC 2.6 on their box (2.5 on mine).
6. I have tried using the Oracle ODBC driver, MS ODBC Driver for Oracle and the MS OSBC for Oracle drivers on their to no avail.

After I did an install of VFP 6 so that I could look and try and troubleshoot, this is when I found the database container couldn't "talk" to the Oracle Database. I had them install the Visual Studio service pack 5 that I downloaded the other day. I have not been back to try this. But before I went today, I was wondering if anyone might have some more ideas on what I might try to troubleshoot this.

What could cause VFP to be able to connect to an Oracle database using SQLCONNECT but not be able to connect using the Database Designer for creating Remote Views?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

What kind of DSN is it. I know that there are User DSNs and System DSNs. If you happened to be using a User DSN and your program is under another user's name, it might not work, though I think that then it isn't visible either, so it might not be possible.

At least in Win 2000 there's a 'trace' facility available through one of the tabs in the ODBC Data Source Administrator. If you haven't used it already, you might try it. Dave Dardinger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back