Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble connecting to internet new SMC router

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbishopjr

Technical User
May 24, 2002
US
I have a new SMC7004vwbr router and Bellsouth DSL. When I put the router between the DSL modem and my computer, it doesn't see the DSL modem. The internet connection is fine otherwise. We've tried the SMC install disk (it didn't offer much help). Also tried the XP (We have Home version Service Pack 1) connection wizards, they didn't work either. All of the router lights are green, there is no problem there. Do we need to contact our ISP for something?

Any advice would be great!!! Thanks,
Waymond

Waymond

It's amazing how much can be done when no one cares who gets the credit!

Do you mean your PC cannot see the DSL modem anymore? This is expected since your SMC router is now handling the PPPoE authentication. Basically once your router is properly configured with PPPoE information and DHCP is set up then you really don't need your Bellsouth software.

I suspect your DSL modem has some sort of DHCP and NAT capability.

You need to change the router's LAN address from its default (lets say it is 192.168.0.1) to a different subnet (lets say 192.168.10.1) so that they are non-conflicting.

The best thing would be to place the modem in pure "Bridge" mode and let the router handle all authentication and connection chores, as well as all DHCP and NAT chores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back