Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble booting...but drive seems ok??.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juleswc

Technical User
Jan 6, 2004
GB
Hi Folks,

Having some trouble with my 13 month 500gb sata seagate drive.. three hours ago while procesing photographic images it just restarted for no reason. Now the pc hangs on 'Verifying DMI Pool Data' and does nothing..

If I hit f12 and go through boot menu and choose the hdd it boots up ok... Any suggestions?

I have virus checked etc etc ANY advice would be fab

Thanks

Jules

sounds like bios problem, do a bios reset and see if that helps

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

unplug the DVD/CD Rom, and see if it goes beyond the 'Verifying DMI Pool Data' message...

if so replace the optical drive...

usually, when it hangs on the DMI message, the BIOS is attempting to communicate with the IDE channels to begin boot processes, and if a device on those channels is defective, it will hang indefinitely or even lock up...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Wondeful. Thanks for the advice guys.
I tried resetting Bios and it still hung on that and then tried the optical drive and it works a treat!! So thanks for the advice.

Much Appreciated.

Cheers

Jules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back