Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble adding wcf service reference to web app client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimi2Cool

Programmer
Jul 30, 2007
US
I have an ASP.Net Web Application project that I’m having a difficult time adding a WCF Service reference to.

The Service is hosted on another machine in IIS 6.

I know the service is fine since if I try to add a reference to it from a new test Web App project, everything works great. I can reference the service from just about anything but the web app I’m trying to add it to?

When I click “Add Service Reference” and use the dialog it all seems ok. It finds the service, lists the interface and the contracts with no problem. BUT it looks like something is going messing up while the proxy is getting created. All the required files get created but a lot of them are missing most of their contents. For example the file configuration.svcinfo when referenced correctly looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configurationSnapshot xmlns:xsi=" xmlns:xsd=" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-wcfconfigurationsnapshot">
<behaviors />
<bindings>
<binding digest="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.BasicHttpBindingElement, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089:&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-16&quot;?&gt;&lt;Data hostNameComparisonMode=&quot;StrongWildcard&quot; maxBufferSize=&quot;65536&quot; messageEncoding=&quot;Text&quot; name=&quot;bsEndpoint&quot; textEncoding=&quot;utf-8&quot; transferMode=&quot;Buffered&quot;&gt;&lt;readerQuotas maxArrayLength=&quot;16384&quot; maxBytesPerRead=&quot;4096&quot; maxDepth=&quot;32&quot; maxNameTableCharCount=&quot;16384&quot; maxStringContentLength=&quot;8192&quot; /&gt;&lt;security mode=&quot;None&quot;&gt;&lt;message algorithmSuite=&quot;Default&quot; clientCredentialType=&quot;UserName&quot; /&gt;&lt;transport clientCredentialType=&quot;None&quot; proxyCredentialType=&quot;None&quot; realm=&quot;&quot; /&gt;&lt;/security&gt;&lt;/Data&gt;" bindingType="basicHttpBinding" name="bsEndpoint" />
<binding digest="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.CustomBindingElement, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089:&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-16&quot;?&gt;&lt;Data name=&quot;webEndpoint&quot;&gt;&lt;textMessageEncoding maxReadPoolSize=&quot;64&quot; maxWritePoolSize=&quot;16&quot; messageVersion=&quot;Soap12&quot; writeEncoding=&quot;utf-8&quot;&gt;&lt;readerQuotas maxArrayLength=&quot;16384&quot; maxBytesPerRead=&quot;4096&quot; maxDepth=&quot;32&quot; maxNameTableCharCount=&quot;16384&quot; maxStringContentLength=&quot;8192&quot; /&gt;&lt;/textMessageEncoding&gt;&lt;/Data&gt;" bindingType="customBinding" name="webEndpoint" />
</bindings>
<endpoints>
<endpoint normalizedDigest="&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-16&quot;?&gt;&lt;Data binding=&quot;customBinding&quot; bindingConfiguration=&quot;webEndpoint&quot; contract=&quot;Headline.IHeadline&quot; name=&quot;webEndpoint&quot; /&gt;" digest="&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-16&quot;?&gt;&lt;Data binding=&quot;customBinding&quot; bindingConfiguration=&quot;webEndpoint&quot; contract=&quot;Headline.IHeadline&quot; name=&quot;webEndpoint&quot; /&gt;" contractName="Headline.IHeadline" name="webEndpoint" />
<endpoint normalizedDigest="&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-16&quot;?&gt;&lt;Data address=&quot; binding=&quot;basicHttpBinding&quot; bindingConfiguration=&quot;bsEndpoint&quot; contract=&quot;Headline.IHeadline&quot; name=&quot;bsEndpoint&quot; /&gt;" digest="&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-16&quot;?&gt;&lt;Data address=&quot; binding=&quot;basicHttpBinding&quot; bindingConfiguration=&quot;bsEndpoint&quot; contract=&quot;Headline.IHeadline&quot; name=&quot;bsEndpoint&quot; /&gt;" contractName="Headline.IHeadline" name="bsEndpoint" />
</endpoints>
</configurationSnapshot>

BUT when I consume it in my web app I get this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configurationSnapshot xmlns:xsi=" xmlns:xsd=" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-wcfconfigurationsnapshot">
<behaviors />
<bindings />
<endpoints />
</configurationSnapshot>

The same is basically true for the configuration91.svcinfo file.

All the other files (.xsd, .wsdl ect.) get created correctly.

Any ideas what may be going wrong here? I’m thinking it’s something to do with my project settings or something like that since on the same machine I can create a new web app and add the reference with no problem but I cant seem to find anything online that can explain my problem let alone offer a solution~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back