Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble accessing switch via console port

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech84

Technical User
May 18, 2000
US
I just bought an SMC6608M switch, and it's got what it calls System Configuration Software, much like most managed switches have, but I can't access it. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is with my switch, the cable, or the terminal settings. Right now I'll just give you the big picture so I can hopefully narrow it down. When the PC is connected to the switch via the console port, and I power up the switch, I see the switch power-on diagnostics in the terminal window. After that, the main menu is supposed to appear, but it doesn't. All I get is a blinking cursor. No matter what I type in, with local echo on or off, nothing else happens. My general question is this: since I can see the diagnostice in the terminal window, does that necessarily mean that the terminal and cable are correct, or is it possible for either of these to be misconfigured and I'm still able to see the diagnostics?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh, by the way, the switch still works fine, I just can't access the configuration software.

Thanks,

Mike
[morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back