Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Triple Slashes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackn

Technical User
Jan 8, 2002
FR
Can anyone help us? My co-worker and I have colaborated in developing a web site with Dreamweaver 4 using what I thought were only document-referenced links throughout. The problem is that after looking at the final product in a browser, when hovering the mouse over a link, the address of the link as displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the screen apparently displays the link as a possible absolute reference. For example, a document-referenced link to introduction.htm located in the training folder is
displayed as file:///C|/training/introduction.htm

Where do the triple slashes come from and what do they mean? Are they absolute references? I thought absolute references only had two slashes instead of three. Everything seems to work ok, even at the client site
when delivered via copy on CD. However, whenever I make a copy of the entire site, the link reference changes according to whatever drive it is copied to. For instance, if it is copied to the E drive, it may be displayed as file:///E|/training/introduction.htm

Any ideas of what is going on here? Is this liable to cause any problems like broken links or is it just a nuisance? Any recommendations or fixes? HELP!

-Jack Nonmacher
jacknonmacher@spherion.com
(713) 735-1829

You have to make sure all the links are in the correct folder and accessed correctly. Either relatively or absoultly.
In DW4, when you wanna add a link just click on the link icon on the Properties box... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back