Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Triple Boot Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

moapple

MIS
Mar 29, 2001
US
Has anyone been successful triple booting SCO, Red Hat, and Windows2000? If so what is the best way to go about this? Can you use one of the boot loaders of do you need a third party program?

I haven't with those particular distros, but I have done a dec-a boot (10 OS's) with Windows, BSD and Linux.

If booting three, make partitions like this:

/dev/hda1 Windows
/dev/hda2 /boot (80 Meg, just in case)
/dev/hda5 <swap> (double your RAM)
/dev/hda6 / (Red Hat)
/dev/hda7 / (SCO)
/dev/hda8 Shared (FAT32 so all OS's can write to it and read from it)

Install Windows first, then Red Hat. Make Red Hat use a separate boot partition (which it usually does). Install SCO next (with no boot partition), as it will overwrite Red Hat's boot partition. Next, install the bootloader onto floppy.

Boot into Red Hat and go into the boot directory. Make a folder called 'SCO' in this boot directory and copy the kernel from the SCO floppy into this folder. You can then modify GRUB in /boot/grub.conf or /boot/menu.lst to add some additional lines to point to the SCO kernel.

e.g.

title SCO
kernel (hd0,1) /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7

That should give you something to work with. If you are still having problems after this, post back.

Hi all, i want help from any one, i'm new one in linux world, i'm certified in MCSE,MCSA,MCT,A+,Network+.
can i change the Boot Loader from GRUB to LILO after finishing installing Linux?
thanks for help
amgad

You can, but why? GRUB is a lot better than LILO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back