Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trimming objects with an outline

Status
Not open for further replies.

gennifer

Technical User
Nov 7, 2008
US
Hi, hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but I'm having some trouble with it. I'm using Illustrator CS2, and every time I try to trim a part of an object that has an outline, the outline disappears. For example, I make a rectangle with a 1 pt stroke outline. I create a white object to use for trimming, select the white object and the rectangle together and click trim. It trims, but the outline disappears. I stroke the object again after trimming, but now the outline has also outlined the part I trimmed when I wanted to remove that piece all together. I hope this makes sense. Basically, how do I trim an object without making the stroke disappear? Thanks in advance!!

...strokes do pose problems when using the pathfinder palette, the only options are to expand the strokes first, then apply the pathfinder function, expand strokes by using object > expand, on the selected object...

...expanding strokes turns them into objects that the pathfinder can 'cut' through...

...the other option is to perform the pathfinder function, then remove sections of the path using the direct select tool, and hit delete, then with the path remaining apply a stroke...

Andrew

...also to add...

...the pathfinder functions quite often require additional work after being used, to clean up unwanted areas, unfortunately a manual process and depending on the complexity, can take several steps to achieve the look you need...

...it's a powerful feature that does require some forethought to achieve acceptable results, and quite often trial and error, even for the most knowledgeable...

Andrew

Thanks a lot Andrew. This was really helpful. I'll work with it some more using your advice and see what I can do with it. Thanks again, I really appreciate it. :)

-Genn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back