Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trim *

Status
Not open for further replies.

micang

Technical User
Aug 9, 2006
US
Access 2003

Hi All,

How would I go about triming a text field which has * as the leading and trailing character?

E.G. - I have *ERT46676864R* and I want to remove the two *'s, therefore be left with ERT46676864R

I can't figure out how to get access to identify the * character.

Any help much appreciated.

Michael

I think this is what you want:

Code:
Replace(Column, '*', '')

Hope it helps,

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Thanks Alex, that should get me to my result. I was not aware of the REPLACE function.

Ta

Michael

Glad it worked (or at least you think it will work) :)

You are only worried about *'s right (no other special characters), and there is no chance of a * ending up in the data you want to keep?

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Hi Alex,

It has worked. I did have other characters that needed to be removed, like '/' , '.' , '-' which are at either at the beginning or end of string.

Therefore I applied the replace for each character.

Basically what I have is data strings that are alphanumeric, any characters other than a number or letter in the begining or end of string, need to be removed.

I am not sure if there is an easier way of doing this other than the replace function.

The way I have done it is as below:

Code:
UPDATE HGV SET HGV.Amended_VIN = Replace([amended_vin],'*','')
WHERE (((Left([HGV]![Amended_VIN],1))='*'));

I have run this for each character I found by doing a group by on left 1, right 1 etc etc.

Thanks for the help.

Michael

guess it's not a bar code after all, glad Alex was able to help though!

leslie

yep, not a bar code! A vehicle indentification number - close enough :)

Thanks.

Michael

Do all of the VIN's have a leading and trailing character you need(ed) removing?

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

Hi Harley,

Nope, not all. Some also have more than 1 leading/trailing character to be removed.

examples

*BNG1245879664. - should be BNG1245879664
**HGF87POUGH56 - should be HGF87POUGH56
/UYR651DFWG198** - should be UYR651DFWG198

I have circa 45 million VIN's, I would estimate that around +- 150,000 have characters that need to be removed.

I did a batch of around 700,000 with the method above and found 13,000 with characters needing removing.

Many thanks.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back