Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TRIM Formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shtinky

MIS
Nov 14, 2003
US
Hello everyone,

CR 8.5/Access DB

I am writing a report for our Sales team. The report is basically a listing of our Sales Reps, and the customers assigned to each rep.

The report is based on a single table, {Customerlist1}

I am having a problem displaying the customer name for each customer record. The database has a design flaw, which is the reason I am encountering problems. The customer name and a hyperlink to their website or an excel spreadsheet is stored in the same field{Customerlist1.NAME} - string field.

When I run a simple report with {Customerlist1.NAME} as the only field in the details tab, each record looks something like this:
CENTRAL WORLDWIDE#CENTRA WORLDWIDE.xls#

I need to get rid of the #CENTRA WORLDWIDE.xls# portion of the string, and just display CENTRAL WORLDWIDE. I hope to accomplish this through a TRIM.

Here is my TRIM:
Left({Customerlist1.NAME},InStr({Customerlist1.NAME},"#")-1)

and here is my formula (Crystal Syntax)...

if isnull({Customerlist1.NAME})
then
{Customerlist1.NAME}
else
Left({Customerlist1.NAME},InStr({Customerlist1.NAME},"#")-1)

This formula works fine until Crystal finds a {Customerlist1.NAME} record with no hyperlink attached. When Crystal finds a record with no hyperlink, I get an error stating "Sting length is less than 0 or not an integer".

I need to expand my formula via another if then statement to allow for a {Customerlist1.NAME} with no hyperlink attached:

if {Customerlist1.NAME} doesn't contain a hyperlink (or just doesn't contain a "#" symbol) then {Customerlist1.NAME}

I have no clue how to add this portion to my formula. I any of you guru's out there have any ideas, please feel free to comment.

I sincerely appreciate your time.

The Shtinkster

if not ({Customerlist1.NAME} like "*#*") then {Customerlist1.NAME}

Or:

If InStr({Customerlist1.NAME},"#") = 0

Reebo
UK

Please Note - Due to current economic forcast and budget constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off. Thank you for your cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back