Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

triggers on views

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedaruke

Technical User
Mar 14, 2005
US
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the correct way to do this or not, I am trying to have my views update one after another. With the basis being one view relies on another. Currently I have them setup to update at a certain time, but if one of the views take longer then expected things get messed up.

So 4 Materizlized views are like this.

1. Select max(date) from table
2. Select bla bla from View 1
3. Select bla bla from View 2.

I am thinking of some sort of trigger (which I have no experience doing) that will trigger the refresh of 2 when view 1 is done, and 3 when 2 is done.

does that make sense? Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

By "update", I assume you really mean "refresh" the materialized views. Why exactly do you think a trigger is the right solution for this ? Why can't you just right a PL/SQL script that refreshes all the views in the correct order and call that once a day ? Do you need to have the views refreshed every time the underlying table changes ?

When will they allow editing on this site ? I mean "write a PL/SQL" script.

Dagon,

I am not set on triggers or think its right! Thats what I am asking for advice. Hmm a Pl SQL script, I didnt think of that. That sounds like a good idea. The views just relie on each other and I have them set to refresh once a day. So I never did any PL SQL script, can you give me a start or sample code? I would appreciate it. Thanks again for your help.

I would have thought you'd just need something like:

begin
dbms_mview.refresh(mat_view1, 'complete');
dbms_mview.refresh(mat_view2, 'complete');
dbms_mview.refresh(mat_view3, 'complete');
end;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back