Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Triggers - Available in P.SQL 2000i?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
Does anyone know if Triggers were/are available in Pervasive SQL 2000i?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

Yes, there were available but have the same limitation as current versions. That limitation being that once a trigger is created, the corresponding Btrieve operation is disabled. For example, if you create an Insert Trigger, Btrieve Inserts will return a status 149.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

That doesn't sound too promising to me. What use is an insert trigger if the application cannot insert a new record without an error?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

Pervasive SQL based? Or SQL based? Your answer confuses me even more.

The SQL interfaces of PSQL. They are ODBC, OLEDB (adCmdTable or adCmdText), ADO.NET, JDBC, and PvQuery (in PDAC). If you use the Btrieve, ActiveX, JCL, OLEDB (adCmdTableDirect), or PvTable (PDAC) interface, adding a trigger will cause an error.
A little closer to real life, Macola uses the Btrieve interface to access PSQL. If you were to add an Insert trigger to one of the tables, Macola would return status 149 on each insert. Inserts through SQL (like Pervasive Control Center, ODBC Test, etc) would work and would fire the trigger.

Mirtheil

I am talking about PSQL not Macola. So if I created an insert trigger - even though the insert was done with Macola - is this is possible with the Pervasive Control Center?

If you create an Insert Trigger through the PCC, and issue an Insert statement through PCC, it will work. If you try to insert to the same table using Macola (or any Btrieve application), a status 149 will be returned and no insert will occur.

Mirtheil

Mirthiel,

To be clear, Macola - this older version at least - runs on Pervasive SQL, not btrieve. Does this make a difference? why are you calling Macola a btrieve application?

Macola USED TO run on btrieve 6.15 but that was 10 years ago.

Btrieve was the product name for v6.15 but with the introduction of PSQL 7 (before PSQL 2000) Btrieve became an interface method to the engine. An application uses the Btrieve interface to the engine whether it is 6.15 or 7 or 2000 or v8 or v9 of v10.
Macola uses the Btrieve interface to the PSQL engine.
There is a second interface method to the PSQL engine. It is the SQL or SRDE interface like ODBC, OLEDB, etc.

Mirtheil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back