Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

sardinka2

Programmer
May 6, 2004
US
I am trying to create a triger for insert. I would like to get id into log table id data was inserted.What am I doing incorrect:
if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id('dbo.mstr_update')
and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, 'IsTrigger') = 1)
drop trigger dbo.mstr_update
GO
CREATE TRIGGER dbo.mstr_Log ON mstr_new
FOR INSERT
AS
Begin
SELECT ID,Getdate()
Into mstr_Log
FROM mstr_new

You need to use the "inserted" table which is populated with your newly inserted record, so that you only retrieve the new record:

SELECT ID,Getdate()
Into mstr_Log
FROM inserted

Books Online covers this inserted table, and also the deleted table, both of which you will use in triggers.

Hope this helps

Thans it helps. Can I run a triger when spesific column was updated?

Yes, you would need a trigger 'FOR UPDATE', and then you would join your table mstr_new with the inserted table and compare the columns, something like:

SELECT ID,Getdate()
Into mstr_Log
FROM inserted i INNER JOIN mstr_New m ON (m.PrimaryKey=i.PrimaryKey)
WHERE i.column<>m.column

The inserted table contains newly inserted records and the new values supplied by an update.

I mean exec trigger when spesific column updated (for example colum 2).
Thanks

A trigger is activated when *rows* in a table are updated, deleted, inserted. You then have to explicitly check in the appropriate trigger to see if a column is changed, so by joining the inserted table with your own data table, you can check if the column has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back