Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trigger or what? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKC

Technical User
Jan 13, 2001
CA
Hi ,
On a recent presentation of a new (custom made) database managment system(back end can be SQL,VFP,Oracle front end made in Visual C++)I saw nice thing:If new Order is entered everyone is getting MsgBox saying something like "We have a new Order".
Is this possible to do with VFP? Being new to VFP(comming from Access) I'm not sure if triggers are used for it or something else but I want everyone on there interfaces to get message.
Thanks,
Lyn

Yes len,
You can create trigger on VFP databases(tables) also. And can send message to all the users connected to the sql server.

So if I create trigger on Order table and include message,it's going to be visible on each machine running front-end and not only on front-end where order is entered.Yes or No?
Thanks
Lyn

I am not aware that a DBC trigger can be sent to all the terminals, but I am aware a trigger to send MESSAGEBOX on all user terminals can be made in the following way.

Add a timer control to check, either the record count in the Orders Table or for checking the last Order number whatever. The timer event can be auto loaded by all users when they start their application. The timer event will fire the MESSAGEBOX if the new order is found. Note this is a timed event and the time lag to notify users logged in will depend on the timer interval set. This MessageBox can be flashed till, some one takes an initiative to attend the order and then dropped once the flag of attending the order is posted by one of them.

Hope the idea is helpful to you.
:)
ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com
LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back